Now that so many people and businesses have jumped on the social media bandwagon, it is becoming harder than ever to make yourself heard above the noise. When you're using social media for sales, creating engaging, shareable content is the key to success. But what does that really mean? Here is what you need to know to get found in the crowd.
What is “Engaging, Shareable Content”?
Social media is all about socializing. If your content is not encouraging people to mingle, it is missing the mark. When content is engaging, it grabs the attention of the reader and makes them want to talk about it. When content is shareable, it connects with the reader so well that they must let their friends and family know about it.
Getting the Job Done
Identifying great social media content is one thing; creating it is something else entirely. Every time you create social media content, ask yourself these questions:
- Is it Useful? If you want your readers to engage, you have to give them something useful. The internet is full of useless information, and most people have had enough of their time wasted with pointless content.
- Is it Relevant? You might have the very best tips for installing your own appliances, but if you are a shoe salesman, your tips are wasted on the wrong eyes. Get to know your audience and give them your particular expertise, not just any old expertise.
- Is it Entertaining? Only people who are desperate for a solution will slog through a boring manual or how-to list. You will do much better if you can be light and entertaining. After all, socializing is meant to be fun so don’t be afraid to be witty or funny—just keep it professional. Aim for business casual; drinks with the boss after work.
- Is it Controversial? This one can be a bit touchy, but if you know your market, you should be able to find a few safe places to take a stand and spark a debate. For example, if you are marketing sports equipment, you can choose a side of the minimalist running shoe discussion. Or, if you are showcasing your restaurant’s upscale drinks menu, talk about the virtues of a stirred martini and see if anyone will defend the shaken martini.
- Has it Been Done Before? If you plan on covering a topic that we have all seen a thousand times, you better have a brand-new angle or reconsider your topic. We all know that going to bed early will help us become morning people and that melting crayons with a hair dryer is a recipe for hideous art. Be original.
Go Forth, and Be Sociable
Using social media for sales can seem daunting. The key to success on social media is to be entertaining and useful. Creating content that draws people in, engages their minds and their senses, and creates a need to share this wonderful find with their friends are the best ways to achieve your social media marketing goals.
If you're looking for more on sales, check out Best Sales Strategies for B2B in Today's Market.
About the Author Casey O'Quinn
Casey founded Gravity Digital in 2000 after serving as the Internet Services Director for a Nashville-based Ad Agency. He's a rare breed that operates both left and right brain, so along with oversight of the company he's active in the creative process for our clients.
Follow Casey O'Quinn: LinkedIn | Twitter